- New York State Senate Debate District 58 October 1, 2020
This online debate features candidates Tom O’Mara (R) and Leslie Danks Burke (D), who seek to represent Ithaca’s 58th District in the New York State Senate. District 58 encompasses five counties across the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes regions: Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben and Yates counties, and a portion of Tompkins County, including the city and town of Ithaca and the towns of Enfield, Newfield and Ulysses. Watch the full debate (video).
- The Future of our Postal Service in an Election Year and BeyondSeptember 9, 2020
Congressman Gerry Connolly, representative for Virginia’s 11th Dirstrict, discusses the future of the United States Postal Service, mail-in voting and the upcoming 2020 election. Moderated by Rep. Steve Israel and Prof. Doug Kriner. Listen to the conversation on the USPS.
- TeleTown Hall with Adam Schiff June 25, 2020
Congressman Adam Schiff, (D-CA) discussed election security and foreign interference in the previous and upcoming presidential election. The congressman currently serves as the Chair of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, which oversees the nation’s intelligence agencies including components of the Departments of Defense, Homeland Security, Justice, State and Energy. Watch the video.
- Election 2020: A Bipartisan Update on the Presidential State of Play
June 16, 2020
This special webinar provide an expert, inside look at where the country stands as we approach the election, featuring Charlie Cook of The Cook Political Report, conservative pundit and CNN host S.E. Cupp and Democratic political consultant and frequent MSNBC pundit Basil Smikle Jr. They offer their thoughts on the political climate, including the impact that COVID-19 and the widespread protests against racism and police brutality will have on the election. Part of the Keynote series produced by eCornell (see video).
- A Congressional Conversation on Race and Justice in America
June 15, 2020
We delve into perspectives by Members of Congress on policies which have brought us to the present crises including economic, law enforcement and justice inequities; as well as meaningful solutions. Special guest speakers include: Congressman James E. Clyburn, House Majority Whip, Congresswoman Barbara Lee, Congressman Emanuel Cleaver, II, Congresswoman Terri Sewell. Moderated by: Basil Smikle Jr. PhD., Political Commentator and Lecturer at Columbia University, ILR ’93. Listen to the conversation.
- Candidate Forum for Assembly District 125
June 11, 2020
A virtual town hall with candidates seeking the Democratic nomination to represent the 125th District in the New York State Assembly, including candidates Anna Kelles, Beau Harbin, Jason Leifer, Jordan Lesser, Lisa Hoeschele, Seph Murtagh, Sujata Gibson. Moderated by government professors David Bateman and Sabrina Karim.
- TeleTown Hall on Dodd-Frank: 10 Years Later
June 10, 2020
Former Congressman Barney Frank and H. Rodgin Cohen, Senior Chairman of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP discuss the effect of the Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and the legislative and real-life events that helped create and impact it. Moderated by Stephanie Ruhle, NBC News Senior Business Correspondent and anchor on MSNBC.
- Democratic Challenges in the Time of COVID-19: Global PerspectivesMay 22, 2020
Authoritarian leaders around the world are exploiting the coronavirus pandemic to concentrate powers, restrict civil liberties, weaken opposition rights, and undermine democratic checks and balances. Regional experts discuss government responses to the pandemic and their implications for democratic rule, including new developments in Africa, Europe, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. Co-hosted by Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies and the Institute of Politics and Global Affairs.
- TeleTown Hall with Senator Amy Klobuchar April 15, 2020
The Honorable Amy Klobuchar is the senior United States senator from Minnesota. She is co-sponsor of the Natural Disaster and Emergency Ballot Act of 2020. She joined us for a discussion on voting accessibility in the unprecedented time of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- TeleTown Hall: Building Vaccine & Prescription Capacity in the U.S. during COVID-19
April 8, 2020
How do we build treatment capacity in a pandemic? Dr. Leonard Schleifer ’73, founder, president and CEO of biotechnology firm Regeneron, and Sean Nicholson, professor of policy analysis and management in the College of Human Ecology and director of the Sloan Program in Health Administration, explain pathways to develop effective treatments and vaccines for novel diseases as well as the need to mobilize the public and private sectors to work together—at the scale necessary to address the pandemic.
- TeleTown Hall: Federal Response to Coronavirus March 25, 2020
The bipartisan congressional delegation from Long Island explained forthcoming legislation, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. Members of Congress Peter King (R-NY), Kathleen Rice (D-NY), Lee Zeldin (R-NY), Tom Suozzi (D-NY) plus Professor Bruce Futcher (Department of Microbiology and Immunology at Stony Book University) joined the conversation.
- Insight: Chris Mathews
December 5, 2019, New York City
One of America’s best-known pundits – and host of Hardball with Chris Matthews on MSNBC – took us inside the newsroom to discuss the changing nature of news delivery and assess the political landscape of today.
- Inside Congress: The Intelligence Committee
October 10, 2019, Ithaca
Congressman Adam Schiff drew a capacity audience on the Cornell University campus for a discussion about national security and the impeachment inquiry. He was joined on stage by Douglas Kriner and Steve Israel, faculty director and director of the Institute of Politics and Global Affairs, and Cornell University student Geneva Saupe ’21.
- Ithaca Launch: Institute of Politics and Global Affairs
October 2, 2019, Ithaca
Douglas Kriner and Steve Israel, faculty director and director, discuss a point via video chat with political scientist Sarah Binder (George Washington University). The evening’s panel “Has Trump Changed Everything?” also included Kaushik Basu, international studies and economics (Cornell), and Parfait Eloundou-Enyegue, development sociology (Cornell).
- Inside Congress: The Intelligence Committee
June 17, 2019, New York City
A conversation with Congressman Adam Schiff, Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, was moderated by former Congressman Steve Israel, director of the institute.
- Inside Congress with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi
May 6, 2019, New York City
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi discussed the latest news, as well as priorities for the House Democratic Caucus, with former Congressman Steve Israel, director of the institute.
- Inside Congress: The Judiciary Committee
April 17, 2019, New York City
Democratic members of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee discussed the agenda for the remainder of the current congressional session. Panelists: Chairman Jerrold Nadler, Hakeem Jeffries of New York, Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania, and Ted Deutch and Val Demings of Florida. Moderator was former Congressman Steve Israel, director of the institute.
Other Past Events
- July 15, 2019, Washington, DC—Congressional Peace Games, hosted at the U.S. Institute of Peace
- June 7, 2019, Ithaca—Stephen J. Hadley ’69, assistant to President George W. Bush for national security affairs, spoke at the Olin Lecture during Cornell’s Reunion Weekend in conversation with former Congressman Steve Israel, director of the institute. They discussed topics ranging from the Cold War and the September 11 attacks to the gravest security threats facing the nation today.
- May 30, 2019, New York City—Inside Congress: Republican Leaders, a discussion with Congressman Tom Cole, ranking member, House Rules Committee, and chairman, National Republican Congressional Committee (2006-2008)
- May 16, 2019, New York City—The Diplomats: A conversation with Ambassador Huang Ping, Consul General of the People’s Republic of China in New York
To view all events visit the Cornell Events Calendar.